The Galway Civic trust are undertaking the restoration of Mutton Island Lighthouse and Keepers Cottage. A castle on the island was demolished to facilitate the lighthouse when it was built in 1815. The Scanlan Family manned the lighthouse in the 1940s and 50s and much of the information we have on the lighthouse is due to them. The Galway Fleming family were contracted to provide relief to Mutton Island in their púcan boat. A series of flags illustrated the requirements of the island to the mainland. The Island was largely self-sufficient however. The last keepers left the island in 1958 when the light became automated. The light was then turned off in December 1977 after 160 years of service.